Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Favorite Christmas Gift

My whole family together in Madison was my favorite Christmas gift this year. Lani & Brian (my sister and brother-in-law) and Eric & Samantha (my brother and sis-in-law) all live on the East Coast but sacrificed the warmer weather to come up north to Wisconsin, to share a Christmas with us the way its supposed to be- snowy and with family :)

I love when my family gets together because the main questions of the day are, "Are game are we going to play next?" and "When's/What's the next meal". The schedule for the past week was basically wake up, make breakfast, play games, have lunch, play games, have dinner then watch a movie- it was a perfect way to enjoy each other's company and the holiday season. My family loves playing games and we learned some new ones, Speed Scrabble and the New Yorker, and played some oldies, Pictionary and Imagine If. 

But hands down our favorite game is Nertz. This is a card game that relies on speed and solitare skills- you can play in partners or singles. We all are at about the same level and so to make things interesting we put a punishment for the loser of one game. Well, actually we just put a punishment for my brother, Eric, if he didn't win. The punishment: trim his facial hair- which was going wild, he looked homeless which was what he wanted. We played that in singles and low and behold, I won! For all of you who know my family, you are right in assuming that game was crazy, loud and intense! But thank God someone other than Eric won for know I have a brother that looks like a clean trimmed homeless person... haha

Spending that week with just my family was such a gift to me this year. It was so hard to say goodbye and get on my plane back to Ecuador- thousands of miles away from my loved ones... but God is good and I am so blessed to have a second family here...Now I just have to wait for them to get home! :)

My family is one of my most cherished and important things in my life and I can't wait till we all can get together again :)

{It really was a White Christmas/Winter Wonderland}
but don't worry my dad still feeds the birds- 
its just on our deck and not in their feeders :)


{The Nertz loser}
Sam's excited but Eric is not... 
The full 'homeless look' Eric...
but victory is sweet. 
Sorry bro but its time to trim it down
[See the end to see the finished cleaner homeless look]


Lani and Brian taking charge for the grilled cheese, tomato soup meal- it was so yummy!


I love Christmas decorations, but I think my mom does even more :)

The Christmas cactus bloomed on time and joined in on the decorations :)

My mom also loves nativity scenes and cultures from around the world. Therefore, we have about 12 or so nativity scenes around the house from different countries and cultures. This year she got to add an Ecuadorian one to the collection :) But in some you'll notice that baby Jesus is missing- its tradition at our house that the baby Jesus doesn't appear till Christmas day. Mom hands each of us one figurine to match with its scene- it's like a treasure hunt :)






Yay for all the different cultures in our world and for the fact that Christ came to 
save all peoples from all nations!!


{The Family}


Love you guys so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment