Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Kids, Guaguas & Yummy Goodness

Every Tuesday and Thursday Taylor and I teach English to 1-3 graders at a nearby Christian school. At first it was a little intimidating and scary, but no we are very comfortable with the kids and we aren't afraid to let them know whose boss ;) Here are just a few pictures of some of the kids and classes. There will be more to come soon!





Here in Ecuador there were holidays last week and everyone got Monday- Wednesday off. The typical drink for these holidays is called "Colada Morada" which is a thick, syrupy purple drink with chucks of pineapple made from blackberries. It is good but really thick and I think it would be better on pancakes than as a drink... The typical food that goes with this Colada Morada is call Guaguas de pan, or bread babies. These bread babies are usually filled with jam or cheese and are decorated like we would decorated Christmas cookies. In order to get the full experience, you have to eat them both together. 

So some ladies from our Zumba class made Taylor and I our very own Guaguas de pan filled with blackberry jam. But the best part of it is that they were personalized bread babies to Tay and I!! It was great to see a bread version of me, but I have to admit I felt bad/weird eating my guagua...

Taylor and I in bread form...this is probably what I will look like after I get back since I am addicted to the pan/bread here ;)

what can I say... it was yummy :)

One of the best, unexpected things about living here in San Carlos Maria de la Torre and working with Compassion Connection is our meals together. It is one of the best things here not only because our conversations are hilarious but because of the amazing food Sandi, Cate or Amie makes us!!! I promise it's like eating at a cute Italian Bistro each time! Be jealous... its worth it! So after our weekend trip to Shell for the Nate Saint House Dedication we came home to a homemade meal of red pepper bread and pumpkin soup- compliments of Sandi! It was amazing and so good! I am so thankful that she is so sweet and is teaching Taylor and I her secrets :) 


Yay for Fall food even though we don't have Autumn here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment